- ½ cup Waterroom temperature
- 2 tbsp + ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 (about 1 pound) Zucchinimedium, sliced ⅛-inch thick
- 1 Yellow onionssmall, sliced ⅛-inch thick
- 3 Ice cubes
- 2 cups (478 ml) Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (200 g) Granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Mustard powder
- 1 ½ tsp Mustard seed
- ¾ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Red pepper flakescrushed, optional - adds some heat!
Sweet and Spicy Zucchini Refrigerator Pickles
These Zucchini Refrigerator Pickles are surprisingly good! They give regular pickles a good run for their money! The pickling liquid for these pickles is delicious – sweet with a hint of spice and a yellow tinge thanks to turmeric.
Start by marinating zucchini and onion in brine. Combine vinegar, sugar, mustard, turmeric, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves fully. Drain the zucchini and transfer to jars. Pour the pickling liquid over the top and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 24 hours.
To make my version of Sweet and Spicy Zucchini Refrigerator Pickles, you will need the following ingredients:
Steps to make Sweet and Spicy Zucchini Refrigerator Pickles
Dissolve salt in water
Make pickling spice
Make pickle liquid
Place zucchini in jars
Top up jar with pickling liquid