- 1 pound Black-eyed peasdried (fresh or canned)
- 6 ounces Pork shoulderdiced into ½-inch cubes
- 4 strips Baconthick sliced, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Onionmedium , small diced
- 4 cloves Garlicsliced
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepperfreshly ground
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 2 cups Water
- 3 Bay leaf
- Hot-pepper vinegaras desired
Black Eyed Peas with Bacon and Pork
These Black Eyed Peas with Bacon and Pork are a traditional, Southern American favorite and eaten mostly around the New Year time for good luck! If you wish to make your dish nice and spicy add the optional hot-pepper vinegar at the end. Partnered with cooked bacon and pork this is a high protein, rich and satisfying, hearty meal.
To make Black Eyed Peas with Bacon and Pork, you will need the following ingredients:
So, how to make Black Eyed Peas with Bacon and Pork?
Steps to make Black Eyed Peas with Bacon and Pork
Overnight soak of peas
Quick soak of peas
Add bacon, onion and garlic
Add stock and water
Add stock, water and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.