- 3 tbsp (45g) Unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp (60ml) Olive oilextra-virgin , divided
- 4 cloves Garlicfinely minced
- pinch Red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp Dried oregano
- ¼ cup (15g) Parsleyminced fresh or basil leaves, or a mix
- Kosher Saltto taste
- 1 large loaf White French breador Italian bread about 18 inches long and 4 inches wide, split half lengthwise and crosswise
- 1 (14.5-ounce, 400g) can Can crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz (225g) Mozzarellawhole milk mozzarella, freshly grated
- 2 oz (60g) Parmesan cheesegrated
The Best French Bread Pizza
If you like deep-dish pizza, try making The Best French Bread Pizza at home. This recipe uses soft supermarket French bread and cooks up in half the time compared to any regular pizza. A stir-together mix of crushed tomatoes, olive oil, herbs, and garlic makes a bold and bright pizza sauce. I like to use both mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in this recipe to get the perfect balance of melty creaminess and nutty depth.
The pizza bread recipe starts with supermarket bread, which is often labeled as French bread and Italian bread. Cut the loaf in half crosswise and then cut those halves lengthwise. Flatten the bread halves and give them a butter-garlic-herb treatment. Then top with mozzarella and bake until the cheese is barely melted. Spread the tomato sauce over the cheese layer and bake until the cheese is melty and perfect. As soon as the bread comes out of the oven, top it with fresh basil or parsley, Parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil.
To make The Best French Bread Pizza, you will need the following ingredients:
Steps to make The Best French Bread Pizza
Adjust the oven rack to the top position and preheat the oven to 425 °F.
Melt butter and add aromatics
In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat 4 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons olive oil until the butter is melted. Add 4 minced cloves garlic, a pinch of pepper flakes, and ½ teaspoon oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes or until the garlic is softened but not browned.
Add parsley/basil and salt
Brush with butter garlic mixture
Prepare tomato sauce
Cover with sauce
Sprinkle with Parmesan