- 1/2 tsp Thai chilior bird’s eye, deseeded and finely minced
- 1/4 tsp Garlicfinely minced, 1/2 small clove
- 1 tbsp Cilantrofinely chopped stems
- 1 small pinch Kosher Saltor cooking
- 2 1/4 tsp Sugarwhite
- 2 tbsp Fish sauce
- 3 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oilor grapeseed oil, or canola
- 7 – 8 oz / 200 – 250 g Beef sirloin steakgood quality, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oilor peanut, or canola oil
- 1/4 tsp Salteach
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 2 heaped cups Lettucemixed leaves
- 10 Cherry tomatoeshalved
- 1/4 Red onionsmall, thinly sliced
- 1/2, about 1/3 cup Cucumberoptionally deseeded, cut horizontally, sliced
- 1/4 cup Cilantroleaves, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup Fresh mintleaves, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup Peanutsfinely chopped , roasted, unsalted
- Cilantroextra, leaves
- Fresh mintextra, leaves
Thai Beef Salad
This easy Thai Beef Salad is just as good if not better than Thai restaurant salad. It’s colorful, full of mouth-watering Thai flavors, and made so simply. Thinly sliced pan-seared beef steak, fresh cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, mixed lettuce leaves, and fragrant herbs, all tossed together with a zingy dressing, make an outstanding and different kind of salad.
First up, make the dressing. In a mortar and pestle, pound and grind Thai red chili, garlic, cilantro stems, and a small pinch of salt to a smooth paste, and then add the remaining ingredients. Alternatively, mince the ingredients and then shake the dressing in a jar. The dressing is key. It’s spicy, tangy, herby, and just a touch sweet. Honestly, it’s addicting. Next, cook the steak until the meat reaches the desired doneness. Toss the lettuce with a tablespoon of the dressing in a large bowl. Combine the sliced beef and the remaining salad ingredients in another bowl and toss with most of the remaining dressing. To serve, arrange the lettuce on plates or a platter and top with the sliced beef and vegetables. Garnish with chopped peanuts, more cilantro and mint leaves. Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve immediately!
To make this Thai Beef Salad, you will need the following ingredients:
Steps to make Thai Beef Salad
In a mortar and pestle, pound and grind ½ teaspoon finely minced bird’s eye or Thai chili, ¼ teaspoon finely minced garlic, 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro stems, and a small pinch of salt to a smooth paste. Then add 2 ¼ teaspoons white sugar, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, 3 tablespoons lime juice, and 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil. Taste and adjust the sugar, lime juice and fish sauce if needed. Set aside.
Cook beef steak
Preheat a skillet over high heat until smoking. Drizzle the beef with ½ tablespoon of oil on both sides. Sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and pepper on both sides. Cook until the meat reaches the desired doneness. 2 minutes per side for medium-rare or 2 ½ minutes per side for medium-well (125 °F for medium-rare and up to 135 °F for medium-well).
Leave to rest
Combine salad ingredients