- 3 cups Water
- 4 1/2 tsp Kosher Saltdivided, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Pearled farrouncooked, about 9 1/4 oz
- 3 Carrotsmedium, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces, about 1 1/2 cups
- 3 Turnipsmedium, peeled, cores removed and discarded, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 Yellow onionssmall, cut into 3/4-inch pieces, about 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups Celery rootchopped peeled, about 3/4-inch piece
- 6 tbsp Olive oilextra-virgin, divided
- 1/4 cup Parsleychopped fresh flat-leaf
- 3 tbsp Red wine vinegarplus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp Black pepperplus more to taste
Farro Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables
This Farro Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables is packed with hearty vegetables and healthy grains for a dish that is as nutritionally balanced as it is flavorful and delicious.
Roasted winter vegetables like turnips, celery root, carrots, and onions all tossed with tender and chewy farro and seasoned simply with extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and black pepper. So good! Serve with protein of choice for a bigger meal or dinner.
With this recipe, you’ll want to give the farro a head start on cooking since it takes a bit longer than roasting the vegetables. Meanwhile, roast the chopped vegetables with olive oil and a pinch of salt until tender and lightly browned. To assemble the salad, toss together the cooked farro, vinegar, chopped parsley, roasted vegetables and any juices from the roasting pan. Season with salt and black pepper. Let the salad stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes and up to 3 hours. Alternatively, make ahead and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just before serving, add more olive oil and adjust the seasonings to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
To make the Farro Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables, you will need the following ingredients:
Steps to make Farro Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables
Preheat the oven to 450 °F.
Prepare veggies for roasting
Drain any excess water from the cooked farro.
Stir together the farro, ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon black pepper, roasted vegetables and any juices from the roasting pan, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Let the salad stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.