- 1 Eggplantslarge, cut into ¾-inch-thick slices
- ⅓ cup Olive oilextra-virgin, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- ¾ tsp Black pepperdivided
- ½ tsp Kosher Saltdivided
- 2 cups Cilantrofresh leaves with tender stems
- 2 cups Parsleyfresh leaves with tender stems
- ½ Red onionsmall, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Lemonfinely chopped, preserved
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1½ tsp Turmericground
- 1 tsp Cuminground
- 2 large Whole-wheat pitasor lavash, halved and warmed
- 4 large Eggshard-boiled, sliced
Open-Face Roasted Eggplant & Herb Salad Pita Sandwiches
Open-Face Roasted Eggplant & Herb Salad Pita Sandwiches are a favorite summer meal in my house! They’re light and fresh, but with the addition of hard boiled eggs, they’re quite filling too. I love the fresh flavors of Middle Eastern cuisine and this recipe brings ingredients like preserved lemon, cilantro, parsley and cumin to the table. Delicious!
These eggplant sandwiches are very simple to make. Simply bake the eggplant slices in the oven. While the eggplant is cooking, prepare a herb mixture to accompany it. Combine cilantro, parsley, preserved lemon, onion, lemon juice, turmeric and cumin with some olive oil. To serve, assemble the eggplant and herb mixture on flatbread. I use lavash bread, but you could use pita bread if you prefer!
To make my Open-Face Roasted Eggplant & Herb Salad Pita Sandwiches, you will need the following ingredients:
So, how do you make Open-Face Roasted Eggplant & Herb Salad Pita Sandwiches?
Steps to make Open-Face Roasted Eggplant & Herb Salad Pita Sandwiches
Heat the oven and prepare a baking sheet
Prepare the eggplant
Roast the eggplant
Make the herb mixture
Assemble the sandwiches