For shortcrust pastry
- ½ cup Unsalted buttercubed, chilled
- 1½ cups Whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Watericed or more if needed
- 1 tbsp Olive oilextra virgin
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 pound Sweet onionssuch as Vidalia, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Milk
- Sea saltflakes, for sprinkling
For Pear and Blue Cheese Topping
- ½ cup Blue cheesecrumbled, such as Roquefort, about 2 ounces, divided
- 1 pound Pearssuch as Anjou or Bosc, cored and sliced
- 1 handful Arugulafor garnish
- ⅓ cup Hazelnutscoarsely chopped, toasted, for garnish
Pear and Blue Cheese Savory Galette
One of my favorite lunchtime, party recipes is this Pear and Blue Cheese Savory Galette and the best part is, with its beautiful, rustic look, this recipe doesn’t need perfection in detail, the perfection is in the filling flavor.
A whole-wheat shortcrust pastry enfolding caramelized sweet onions and Dijon mustard and filled with crumbled blue cheese, firm pears baked in the oven until golden. I garnish with fresh arugula leaves and toasted hazelnuts for an easy yet impressive finish.
To make Pear and Blue Cheese Savory Galette, you will need the following ingredients:
Steps to make Pear and Blue Cheese Savory Galette
In a food processor, combine 1½ cups whole-wheat flour and ¼ tsp kosher salt. Add ½ a cup chilled and cubed butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add egg and process for 5 more seconds. Add 1 tablespoon of ice water and process until the dough starts clumping, about 20 seconds.
In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter, then add 1 pound of thinly sliced onions, ½ teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of water. Stir to combine and then reduce the heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes until the onions are extremely soft. Uncover and increase the heat to medium-high then cook, while tossing, for about 2-3 minutes until all the liquid evaporates. Transfer to a plate and set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
Roll out pastry
Add more blue cheese