- 2 cups Lentilsdried black beluga lentils or French green lentils, washed and rinsed, discarding any debris
- 2 Garlic clovelarge , halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
For the Lemon Dressing:
- ¼ cup Lemon juicefresh
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Honeyor maple syrup for vegan choice
- 1 clove Garlicpressed or minced
- ¼ tsp Sea saltfine-grain
- Black pepperfreshly ground , to taste
For the Salad:
- 1 can (15 ounces) Chickpeasrinsed and drained, or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 bunch Radishesbig , sliced thin and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup Fresh herbschopped , combination of mint and dill recommended
- Feta cheesecrumbled or goat cheese
- handful of mint and dillfresh leafy green
Lemony Lentil and Chickpea Salad
I really enjoyed writing this Lemony Lentil and Chickpea Salad recipe because I love coming up with new and exciting flavor matches and combinations. I am always up to the challenge of making a salad extra tasty to help encourage healthy food choices into your daily intake.
I cook black or green lentils with garlic and olive oil then toss them with chickpeas, chopped radishes and leafy herbs like mint or dill, which are strong in fragrance and then dress it all with a sweet and sour, honey and mustard, lemon dressing.
To make Lemony Lentil and Chickpea Salad, you will need the following ingredients:
Steps to make Lemony Lentil and Chickpea Salad
In a medium pot over high heat, combine 2 cups of washed and rinsed black or green lentils, 2 large, halved garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 4 cups of water. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20-35 minutes until the lentils are cooked through and softened. Drain and discard garlic.
In a small bowl, whisk ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of honey or maple syrup, 1 clove of minced garlic, ¼ teaspoon of fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste until well combined. (If using pre-cooked lentils, add 1 more clove of minced garlic and 1 more tablespoon of olive oil.)